web site cvs modules

Ben Hummon clouds42 at wpi.edu
Sun Jun 23 18:39:42 UTC 2002

Hi,
This is probably just me wanting to be obsessively neat and not worth the
effort, but I thought I'd bring it up just the same.
At the moment, the sites using the KDE CVS repository have no consistent name
scheme or location. By a site, I mean something that's registered as
[something].kde.org. Following is a listing of such sites:

bugs
devel-home
developer.kde.org
edu.kde.org
enterprise.kde.org
events.kde.org
kde-women.kde.org
printing.kde.org
sysadmins.kde.org
usability.kde.org
worldwide.kde.org
www
www/Bugs (i think this is out of date & unused)
www/artist
www/docs.kde.org
www/dot (related to www/news)
www/kafka
www/kate (kate.kde.org is redirected to www.kde.org/kate)
www/kdegames (games.kde.org is redirected to www.kde.org/kdegames)
www/koffice
www/konqueror
www/kooka (kooka.kde.org is redirected to www.kde.org/kooka)
www/multimedia
www/news
www/svg

For me, it would make more sense to have a "web" cvs module and within that
have subdirectories "devel-home.kde.org", "developer.kde.org", "www.kde.org",
etc. I'm not sure if karma would be a problem here - is karma only per module
or can it work on everything within a directory in a module?

As of right now, someone can visit www.kde.org/koffice/index.phtml or my
favorite, www.kde.org/konqueror, and find a rather broken site that looks
oddly like www.koffice.org or www.konqueror.org. :-/

How much work would moving these sites to "web" module involve? I'd think for
static sites (that is only html, css code) and for simple PHP sites
(developer.kde.org is a good example) It would be only CVS and web server
configuration and no changes to the site would be needed. I'm guessing the
process would be something like this:
1. lock everyone out of making commits to the module being moved.
2. copy all the files making up the site to their new location, removing any
CVS specific things.
3. add the site's files to the new CVS module.
4. update the webserver configuration to serve from the new location.
5. remove the old site from the CVS.

I don't really understand how the CVS/webserver combination works and I have
very little concept of how much work this would be.

Bye,
Ben Hummon