maintaining kde.org and the FAQ (was: Re: Inclusion of "Konstruct" in www.kde.org's application news)

Rainer Endres endres at physos.org
Sun Dec 22 07:34:49 UTC 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 00:58, Navindra Umanee Navindra Umanee
<navindra at cs.mcgill.ca> wrote to kde-www at mail.kde.org
> Rainer Endres <endres at physos.org> wrote:
>

> Well, there you go.  Do you (or Neil or whoever's interested...) think
> Wiki is useful for anything else in KDE?

I think an official wiki would be to vulnerable to attacks. Maintainers would
have more work kicking out the vandals, than actually working on content.

We could try again with an external wiki with accounting, I will try to set
one up today, to try the concept. IMHO a wiki with accounting is a lot like
editing a file in CVS, but I am ready to be suprised to see more ppl
contributing ;)

> By attacks do you mean Wiki is something that would introduce security
> vulnerabilities on the server?

Nope, like Neil said, the main problem with a wiki are vandals. You need more
maintainers/contributors than vandals to make wikis useful. Or you introduce
accounts. The more I think about it, the more I think we should try it and
get it in the KDE.org universe when it gets really useful (when it has some
content).

One problem reamins though, how to get a docbook FAQ for the KDE documentation
out of the Wiki?

MfG
	Rainer

> Cheers,
> Navin.

 WHAT PROFITETH IT A KINGDOM IF THE OXEN BE DEFLATED? Riddles, II(3)
 T.P., The Fifth Elephant
Rainer Endres

private
mail:	endres at physos.org