maintaining kde.org and the FAQ (was: Re: Inclusion of "Konstruct" in www.kde.org's application news)

Rainer Endres endres at physos.org
Sat Dec 21 22:05:04 UTC 2002

There are two topics in this discussion and both are concerning me.

On Saturday 21 December 2002 18:29, Stephan Binner Stephan Binner
<binner at kde.org> wrote to kde-www at mail.kde.org
> On Saturday 21 December 2002 15:19, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > I'm not a member of "the KDE.org webteam", though.
>
> I wonder who is member of it and active. I see many people worrying about
> layout but who cares about the content? Many parts of www.kde.org get more
> and more outdated - long list: documentation/ especially
> documentation/faq/, whatiskde/, kde-books.html, kdeships.html, thanks.html,
> credits.html, gallery/, kde-stuff.html, awards.html (stopped last year),
> press/ (1999).

I care about the content. I was very short on time for KDE stuff in the last
month. I took up the pieces I left on my HDD in the last days and continued
work on the content. This is no small task , since most of it has grown
organically in the last years, apparently.
I would like to update several pages, but I have no access to www/ and forgot
to ask about it before. There are several updates here, wich I would like to
put in.

> I only do occasional link and small text fixes. Thanks don't help. I have
> no time to update e.g. the FAQ - the german KDE FAQ (for
> de.comp.os.unix.apps .kde) which I maintain needs to get overhauled too for
> some months. :-(

I am the official FAQ maintainer ATM, even when I give only the name for it
due to my lack of time. I did not recieve a suggestion, answer or anything
else for more than a year. Now lots of ppl pop up who say they are
maintaining a FAQ outside cvs. Sorry, but this is not helping with the
official FAQ. I am willing to take care of including anything I get for the
FAQ, but I am not able to monitor the newsgroups and maillists ATM, sorry.

I asked for help very long ago, but nobody helped. I would be very glad to
keep maintaining the FAQ and put in stuff I wrote in the last year, but I do
not see anybody helping in this, except lauri. When ppl are willing to help I
am _very_ glad about it.

Just some points before I end this long unstructured mail written in a tired
state because I wanted to comment before tomorrow morning.

The kde.org content is in severe need of an overhaul. _NOT_ the menu structure
and _NOT_ the layout are the problem, but the existing content. Stefan is
doing a tremendious job in keeping things up to date. I hate to think about
kde.org's state without him.

Stefan I would be glad to coordinate work with you.

Concerning the FAQ:

I tried a Wiki some time ago, I got 8 attacks in 4 months without even being
announced. Introducing accounts to edit the wiki gets us back to CVS. What
the FAQ needs is ppl writing content, not another website.

Another of the main problems is the fact it is very difficult to package a
wiki in docbook format for the KDE packages.

I love Wikis, but in my experience they are not the right tool for this task.

I love the fact that there are ppl concerned about the content, because
kde.org needs much more ppl taking care of it than Jason, Christoph and me.
(eho seem to be the official webteam ATM) There is much work to do IMHO, and
the layout is just a tiny bit of it. Everybody interested in helping is
invited to do so.

MfG
	Rainer "physos" Endres

 WHAT PROFITETH IT A KINGDOM IF THE OXEN BE DEFLATED? Riddles, II(3)
 T.P., The Fifth Elephant
Rainer Endres

private
mail:	endres at physos.org