[Kde-women] Seeking ideas that aren't in the tech conference program (OHM, 30C3) yet...

L.Cecilie Wian likevel.katla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 07:02:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Agnes Meyder <agnes at meyder.eu> wrote:

> Hej,
>
> summer is the time to prepare for winter or to go on summer camp! I
> would appreciate it, if you would consider the following call for
> participation and spread the word :).
>
> Greets
> Agnes
> ----
>
> Subject: Seeking ideas that aren't in the tech conference program (OHM,
> 30C3) yet...
>
> Some people have summarized the lack of female speakers at tech
> conferences with the following statements:
>
> "For every bad male speaker (sorry), there’s two good female ones who
> didn’t consider submitting a talk."
> - https://twitter.com/janl/status/213034592318394371
>
> "When I’d talk to men about the conference and ask if they felt like
> they had an idea to submit for a talk, they’d *always* start
> brainstorming on the spot...and yet, overwhelmingly the women I talked
> to with the same pitch deferred with a, “well, but I’m not an expert on
> anything,” or “I wouldn’t know what to submit..."
> -
>
> http://geekfeminism.org/2012/05/21/how-i-got-50-women-speakers-at-my-tech-conference/
>
> Hi, we are Nick and Agnes. Nick Farr presents and curates the Lightning
> Talks at various tech events throughout the US and Europe. He is in the
> process of putting together the Lightning Talks for OHM2013, the
> biennial hacker camp taking place July 31st to August 4th and for the
> 30C3, the Chaos Communication camp taking place in Hamburg from December
> 27th to the 30th. Agnes organizes volunteers at the congress and loves
> to moderate talks.
>
> We would like to encourage you to submit your ideas to one, both or even
> more tech events!  There are a few spots left for 5 minute lightning
> talks at OHM.  The CFP is currently open for 30 or 60 minute talks at
> the congress and the call for 5 minute lightning talks at the congress
> will open soon!   Lightning Talks are the perfect way to get a feel for
> what it's like to be on stage, connect with many potential collaborators
> and help get started with your full-length lecture submission.
>
> While Lightning Talk submissions are not normally granted free entry or
> travel expenses, there are foundations and other institutions that may
> cover the costs of your trip and ticket.  If you cannot travel to these
> events because of time conflicts or personal reasons, please feel free
> to present or submit a pre-recorded lightning talk or ask to give a live
> remote talk.
>
> If you know someone who has an excellent idea or topic, but is a bit shy
> or reluctant to present, please encourage them to submit a Lightning
> Talk!  Lightning talks are accepted first-come, first-served as long as
> basic criteria are met.  Almost all Lightning Talks are accepted until
> there are no longer spots left.  Every submitter will get a reply.
>
> In contrast, 30 and 60 minutes talks for the 30C3 have to be submitted
> [...]
I loved this!
A nice reminder to just do it.
I forget to submit, and more often than not i also talk myself out of
submitting. Not going to the two conferences named here, but i hoped to go
to FScons, in gothenburg. But missed the deadline for proposals due to
doubt and stress. I keep thinking proposals are so much work that i will
never have the time to prepare properly. Even if the experiences i have had
says otherwise. FS people are a very friendly audience.

--
Cecilie Wian

Well-behaved women seldom make history.
—Laurel Thatcher Ulrich