[Kde-women] Seeking ideas that aren't in the tech conference program (OHM, 30C3) yet...

Agnes Meyder agnes at meyder.eu
Sat Jul 27 16:35:34 UTC 2013

Hej Marta,
On 25.07.2013 22:18, Marta Rybczynska wrote:
> Hello Agnes,
> I'll ask the question in public because I think others may be interested
> in the same thing.
thanks for asking!
> I'm thinking about a submission to 30C3, but I'm wondering if the
> organizing commitee is
> going to do something to make the conference more female-friendly? From
> what I have
> heard about the one last year, it wasn't perfect.

As a person who is part of the Haecksen, the female subgroup in the CCC,
and having attended the last four congresses including these meetings, I
can assure you that there is nothing unsafe, unfriendly going on at all.
Else we would know about it.

I was also part of the shift organizing desk last year so I actually
know the numbers of reported incidents: 1 (6000 visitors)
I met this guy in person, he was plain weird to everyone. The Awareness
team (our mediators) and the security took care of him. He was also not
part of all the twittering etc. that happened. I don't think, the
activists who created the outrage even know about this one incident.
Since the congress is planned and executed by volunteers, the activists
were asked to help to implement the things the congress lacked in their
opinion.
The outrage you may have heard is mostly based on misunderstandings on
top of misunderstandings. If you want, I can go into detail here.

I love going to the congress, it is something I look forward to every
year. Please come by, see for yourself and visit the Haecksen breakfast
on the third day to grab a coffee and have a nice chat!

Greets
Agnes