[Kde-women] Ada Lovelace Day 2012

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Mon Jul 23 11:01:25 UTC 2012

On Monday 23 July 2012 12:11:32 Camila Ayres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ada Lovelace day is gonna be at October 16th this year, so might be a good
> idea to start to prepare ourselves for it.
>
> - We need ideas for a shortish and easy tutorial that ends up in something
> working and running, or for example, a piece of text translated somewhere
> (@Aracele!!).
> - Have in mind that people have to know in advance what they need to have
> installed, prepared in their computer to follow the tutorial.
> - Also, one day in advance, have a help session for people to get their
> system set up.
> - What do you prefer: do it through IRC or Google Hangout?
> - Depending on how much people will be able to do the tutorial, we could
> spread out over 1 week.
>
> Lydia and I made a list with some names that we thought could be willing to
> do one tutorial - that's why you are receiving this e-mail :) If you know
> someone else that could be included and if you have any differents ideas
> for Ada Lovelace Day, please let us know.
>
> Let's help other to get involved in KDE!
>
> Cheers,
> ----
> Camila Ayres
> camilasan.com
Hi. Good thinking.

I'd just make two additional points:

1) irc is preferred especially if we can find a web link somewhere so they
don't _have_ to install an irc client, but can just use a browser.

2) Having people accomplish a real task, which the community appreciate,
makes for a better experience, and makes it more likely they will actually
stay. So it would probably be a good idea to start thinking about real tasks
that attendants can accomplish.

And bonus points if we can make this a group task where all attendants (incl
us) already form a sub-community and ending the day/week with some real
product. This way we also show this important and cool side of foss/kde. It
will require some more pre-planning from our side, but I think it will be
worth it.

Camilla Boemann