[Kde-women] Job database

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 10:11:19 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 23.32, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On April 5, 2005 05:17 pm, Ines Sombra wrote:
> > Hello Anne,
> >
> > I was the one supposed to build it but never got any answers and then
> > Frauke left. Is the project db still needed?
> > I am still willing to help.
> >
> > Ines
>
> As for me, unfortunately I have little time for that at the moment. I don't
> remember the details for it. If you're willing to help, maybe we can
> rebuild a team to work on it. First mails about that should be looked at in
> the archives. Roughly I think we wanted to record all tasks that have to be
> done and try to get somebody for them. Like 'review this handbook to check
> English', 'this app needs help' and so on.

I didn't like this idea then, and I hate it now.  Duplicating an insufficient
resource with an unmaintained one, instead of working on improving the
existing one, seems like a complete waste of time to me.

There is a jobs page on www.kde.org for open jobs - this page sees a lot of
traffic.  There is the quality team, which I beg to differ, hasn't actually
deflated as much as you might think, although the attempts to manage this
exact information mentioned above didn't come to much.  Why might that be?
Because it's a MASSIVE job to maintain, and nobody has time to do it.  In a
wiki, in a text file, or in a DB, it doesn't matter, unless you grow everyone
another 24 hours in a day.

The logical thing to do is to put recurring/ongoing jobs on the jobs page, and
leverage bugs.kde.org the way the docs team (and others, notably the PIM team
and the Quality team) have. We use the junior jobs, and generally filing lots
of small bitesize tasks as bugs and marking them so, feels like a much more
practical way forward.  It's been easily the most productive decision we
made: Open jobs are either bugs or wishlist items, and should be filed
*anyway*, bugzilla is already set up to deal with exactly this.

[See http://i18n.kde.org/doc/current.php for links to pre-rolled queries to
pull out the beginner docs jobs from bugzilla, for instance, or the PIM team
doing exactly the same thing: http://pim.kde.org/development/bugs.php )

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts