[Kde-women] Re: Welcome to the "kde-women" mailing list

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Sun Jun 27 17:22:22 CEST 2004

Hi Esme,

welcome to this list!

On Sunday 27 June 2004 11:00, Esme wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've only recently started actually using Linux, although I've been keeping
> my eye on it for a few years.  I've been using computers in one way or
> another for 25 years now, in jobs (data entry, mainframe operations -
> currently back to just data entry) and as a hobbyist (programming in BASIC
> for Sharp handheld computers many many moons ago!).
>
> I was an enthusiastic Amiga user for many years, and resisted buying "PC"
> hardware for quite a while, but with the demise of Commodore gave in to the
> inevitable. I've never felt the urge to tinker as a hobbyist with Windows
> (shudder), but now I've started using Linux (Mandrake 10) and learning how
> it all works, and how to use the command line.. - all nicely echoing my
> happy experiences with the Amiga - I'm getting enthused again!
>
> At the moment, whilst I'm still getting to grips with Linux, my main useful
> skill would probably be in helping with documentation, like proofreading
> and helping create beginners guides.  I would like to get back into coding,
> though.  C and suchlike don;t look to be quitemy cup of tea, and BASIC
> seems to be out of fashion these days. Any reccomends as to a currently
> useful language of that kind of ease of use  would be much appreciated.

Well, QT and KDE are coded using C++ using object-oriented techniques.
Both toolkits have bindings which enable you to code GUI apps with the same
look & feel but using a different language. Please have at this page:

http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/

The most popular ones are the python bindings actually.

Please keep us updated on your progress - I am very interested on feedback on
using the bindings :-)

Greetings,
eva