[Kde-women] Re: Welcome to the "kde-women" mailing list

Esme esme at nocturnal.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 11:00:44 CEST 2004

Hello!

I've only recently started actually using Linux, although I've been keeping my
eye on it for a few years.  I've been using computers in one way or another
for 25 years now, in jobs (data entry, mainframe operations - currently back
to just data entry) and as a hobbyist (programming in BASIC for Sharp
handheld computers many many moons ago!).

I was an enthusiastic Amiga user for many years, and resisted buying "PC"
hardware for quite a while, but with the demise of Commodore gave in to the
inevitable. I've never felt the urge to tinker as a hobbyist with Windows
(shudder), but now I've started using Linux (Mandrake 10) and learning how it
all works, and how to use the command line.. - all nicely echoing my happy
experiences with the Amiga - I'm getting enthused again!

At the moment, whilst I'm still getting to grips with Linux, my main useful
skill would probably be in helping with documentation, like proofreading and
helping create beginners guides.  I would like to get back into coding,
though.  C and suchlike don;t look to be quitemy cup of tea, and BASIC seems
to be out of fashion these days. Any reccomends as to a currently useful
language of that kind of ease of use  would be much appreciated.

I'm 46 and live in the UK.

Esme