[Kde-women] KDE Women - Introduction

Frauke Oster oster at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 10:30:16 CET 2004

Hi!

Welcome to KDE Women!

> Well, an Introduction is that I am a 19 year old female from the UK, who
> as been interested in Linux since I was 17.
>
> I am at the moment concentrating on several projects, the first is my
> PHP and Mysql skills,

Hey, you just remembered me of something. I'll send a second mail about
it later :)

the second is learning to program in C (I haven't
> yet found an answer to wheather or not I'm too old to start learning!!
> Everyone seems like they are 14 year old boys!!),

I would like to answer your question, because I am 20 and I started to
learn C++ a year ago. I have to say that I wasn't really good in
learning it from books, but now I study computer science at uni and I
just learned how to code in C. So, if I can manage to learn something
like that you will make it too. It's true that there are a lot of 14
year old boys learning C / C++, but there are also some women who start
to learn C. I know another woman, who is at our age and she just started
to learn C too. So, I think you really should go ahead with learning.

and a website that I
> hope to get up and running soon about Open Source in Schools around the
> world to show people it can be done!!!
>
> I am at the moment a Technician in a secondary school in Kent, which I'm
> afraid doesn't use Linux, though the last 2 schools I worked at did!!
> Plus my partner Paul is also spreading the word by having Linux server
> etc at the school he works at too.
>
> Sorry if this has bored everyone, if its quiet because I've set my
> communigate pro rules wrong please let me know....urmmm...somehow!!

Why should it bore everyone? I think it is quiet good to introduce
oneself to the mailinglist, so we know you are here ;-)

> ps. I did run Mandrake 10, but due to lack of functions went back to
> M9.2.....miss KDE 3.2 now!!!

You don't have to wait long I guess...

> pps. I would like to help with a project like KDE but feel that I lack
> the programming skills (hence the studying!) what would I need to learn,
> and is there anything I could do in the mean time??

Ok, if you want to start contributing by coding in KDE, you should learn
C++. Most of the code in KDE is written in C++. But there is also the
possibility in coding in other languages, because there are language
bindings in KDE available. You also can have a look at Qt, the toolkit
that is used by KDE. If you want to read a tutorial about Coding for KDE
you can have a look at our website. Annma wrote some nice tutorials.
You'll find them under http://women.kde.org/articles/
In the mean time there is a lot to do. You can help developing our
website or write articles for it. You can also contribute to KDE in
other ways. The newest possibility is the KDE Quality Team, if I get
that right. You can also work together with our male supporters and help
for example to improve Usability. It isn't a question of what tasks has
to be done, because there are enough, believe me, but a question about
what are you interested in?

If you have any questions, just go ahead and ask. And again welcome to
KDE Women!