KDE Windows CI

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Mar 7 06:17:46 GMT 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On mercredi 24 février 2021 09:51:28 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:

> we
> > >
> > > ran

> any

> > > failing?
> > >
> > > I can't remember this test ever passing on Windows, actually.
> > > I'd say it's always been failing.
> >
> > Damn. Do we have any other tests that try to do similar things with
> windows
> > that are also affected?
> > (Just to be sure that is the issue here)
>
> Good point.
> Here's my investigation of all the tests that use qWaitForWindowExposed:
>
> kwidgetsaddons/autotests/kpasswordlineedittest.cpp  FAIL
> kwidgetsaddons/autotests/ksplittercollapserbuttontest.cpp   FAIL
> kwidgetsaddons/autotests/kcolorbuttontest.cpp  FAIL
> kwidgetsaddons/autotests/ktooltipwidgettest.cpp  FAIL
> ktexteditor/autotests/src/kateview_test.cpp  FAIL!
> 'QTest::qWaitForWindowExposed(view)' returned FALSE. ()
> ktexteditor/autotests/src/messagetest.cpp  FAIL!
> 'QTest::qWaitForWindowExposed(view)' returned FALSE. ()
> kio/autotests/kfilecustomdialogtest.cpp => tests seem to be disabled
> completely on Windows :(
> plasma-framework/autotests/iconitemtest.cpp FAIL!
> 'QTest::qWaitForWindowExposed(m_view)' returned FALSE. ()
> plasma-framework/autotests/dialognativetest.cpp => X11 only test, not run
>
> So, yes, qWaitForWindowExposed fails in our Windows CI, always.

Doing some searching confirmed my fears here, that even though we're
running under the Task Scheduler, in most cases we won't have interactive
desktop access - which is needed here to show windows.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc722152(v=ws.11)?redirectedfrom=MSDN
 and https://serverfault.com/questions/101671/scheduled-tasks-w-gui-issue
detail this sadly.

It should be noted that running as a service is also off the table, per
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/services/interactive-services

I'll have a think about our options here - we're a little limited alas as
we also need the runner process for the Binary Factory to start as well. I
suspect our only option will be to have Windows automatically login as the
CI user, and for us to manually start the Binary Factory worker after the
system has started up.

> --
> David Faure, faure at kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
> Working on KDE Frameworks 5