Changing the default packager to IFW (was: NSIS)?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon May 29 18:34:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, 29 May 2017 21:20:27 +0300
Konstantin Podsvirov <konstantin at podsvirov.pro> wrote:

> 29.05.2017, 21:08, "Thomas Friedrichsmeier"
> <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Creation of a proper installer has become much easier, recently,
> > but I think there is still room for improvement. The next item on
> > my list for this would be the choice of default packager (current
> > 7z).
> >
> > In summary: I propose changing the default to NSIS.
>
> But, if KDE friends with Qt and CMake, why not use CPack IFW
> generator to create QtIFW based standalone and online installers with
> GUI and apropriate repositories (and it's crossplatform too)?
>
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/CPackIFW.html

Because - as far as I can see - NSIS packaging is already implemented
and functional in craft, while CPack is not.

But then, that's one of my points: If ports can simply "use the
default", instead of a specific packager (_and_ get something
functional out of it), then it will be much easier to change the
default once a better alternative is available.

Regards
Thomas