Changing the default packager to NSIS?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon May 29 18:07:16 UTC 2017

Hi!

Creation of a proper installer has become much easier, recently, but I
think there is still room for improvement. The next item on my list for
this would be the choice of default packager (current 7z).

In summary: I propose changing the default to NSIS.

Some backgorund in case it is needed: Grepping the current
portage, there are 17 ports containing "createPackage". I _assume_ those
identical to the ports that are currently distributing or preparing
binaries. Out of these, 15 explicitly specify to use the
NullsoftInstallerPackager.

I can only speak for project RKWard, but as an application maintainer,
I do not care much what tool my installer is based on. I do care about
being able to create a fully functional installer that produces
something appropriate for the target platform. As far as I understand,
that _is_ NSIS, and no other packager, for Windos, ATM, and thus that
is what I specify in the rkward port. But not "because I want NSIS",
but "because I want a work stand-alone installer". Also, importantly,
if and when "native" packaging options become available e.g. for Mac,
I'd love to just profit from that, without having to struggle with
platform-specific conditionals, etc.

So, I'd like to _not_ specify any particular packager for my port, and
still produce a fully-functional installer.

--

Somewhat OT, and nothing I care about too much, but arguably, the
distinction between "collection" packager (CollectionPackagerBase) and

Regards
Thomas