Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Oct 20 19:29:21 UTC 2015

Christoph,

I'm not trying to argue against having applications come in complete
bundles at all. That is a worthy goal also actually, it's just not the
direction I was headed in. You've made a lot more progress in this
regard than I had though tbh. I see the kdewin installer as something
that went away because it was tricky to set up, had a bus number of
one (I think only Saro was creating repositories for it iirc), so it
fell by the wayside at some point. I did use it to install my favorite
kde utilities on windows whenever I was stuck on windows for various
reasons though. It was useful to install ksnapshot, filelight, etc.
and have them use the same copy of kdelibs. Maybe with frameworks it's
not that important to share libraries between applications though. I'm
not sure.

I can understand arguments for both ways of doing things. Having each
application have it's own copy of Qt, KF5, etc. makes it possible to
know that those versions have been tested with the application code to
make sure it runs well etc. If applications are sharing one copy of Qt
and one of them upgrades it, it's not guaranteed to work the same way
as an older version (it's supposed to work, but I've seen enough
e-mail about Qt 5.x breaks plasma where it worked with Qt 5.x-1 to
know this isn't always the case in reality.)

Also, the work you're doing to make frameworks use bundled resources
will help both of the above use cases, so that's definitely an
improvement in my opinion.

I can see advanced users either using macports, fink, homebrew or a
download and install x,y,z and share libraries to install many of our
applications. I can also see the same power users recommending
individual applications to their relatives (moms, grandmothers, etc.)
using single application installers as you described. "Here mom,
download this one bundle to install kxstitch on your windows laptop."
etc. So there are advantages to both/all ways of going forward I
think.

BR,
Jeremy