Building latest release of KDE

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Nov 22 12:45:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

this is a terribly late reply. I wish somebody from the "inner circle" would
answer such questions, as I really find the situation rather non-obvious, too,
and I can't really give any definite answers.

Anyway, I can give you some pointers:

On Saturday 08 November 2014 21:29:23 Paul Manners wrote:
> I'm wanting to try out the latest version of Okular in Windows.  I've spent
> some time reading though the documentation on the KDE for Windows
> Initiative site as well the okular website, forums, IRC and mailing lists.
> I'm trying to find a path of least resistance but the details I've found
> are from posts and documentation that goes back quite some time, so I'm not
> sure if they are still valid.
>
> My findings so far are:
>
> - There's no new release of KDE for Windows that includes the latest
> version of Okular.  The last release was May 2013 based KDE 4.10.2.  I get
> the feeling that the KDE binary builds (for windows) are no longer being
> produced due to a shift towards kf5.  I don't however see any formal
> releases of kf5 so I'm guessing what I need to focus on is a custom build
> of KDE 4.14.2 in windows.

Some things to be noted:
- As there is not even a branch for KDE 4.14 in emerge, I would expect it to
be a prohibitive amount of work to build KDE 4.14 on Windows. Perhaps you do
not really need the very latest okular? Perhaps the one coming with KDE 4.13
would be good enough.
- You do not necessarily need all of KDE 4.14 in order to build the latest
okular. At least its CMakeLists.txt suggests KDE 4.6.0+ is required, only. But
of course it's quite possible that nobody adjusted the dependency setting in a
while, and it's totally out-of-date.
- So what I'd suggest is: Try building KDE 4.13. If you _really_ need a more
recent okular, modify the okular portage file
(emerge/portage/kde/kdegraphics/okular/okular.XYZ.py) to point to the latest
stable git branch, instead of the KDE/4.13 branch (the "gitHEAD" target). Try
if that works.

Now the big caveat:
- In my experience, building a not-so-recent KDE release on Windows is a
really cumbersome exercise, as many downloads referenced have moved or are no
longer available at all. I'm not sure, what state the kde-4.13-branch is in.
- Personally, I'm really glad, I made a snapshot of my kde-4.10 emerge tree,
and use that for building. Good enough for me, _might_ be good enough to build
a recent okular (see above). Just in case you hit a dead-end on kde-4.13, and
you want to give that a try:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkwardextras/files/Windows/Development/ .

No idea on the compiler issue.

Regards