Building latest release of KDE

Paul Manners paul.manners at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:29:23 UTC 2014

Good day,

I'm wanting to try out the latest version of Okular in Windows.  I've spent
some time reading though the documentation on the KDE for Windows
Initiative site as well the okular website, forums, IRC and mailing lists.
I'm trying to find a path of least resistance but the details I've found
are from posts and documentation that goes back quite some time, so I'm not
sure if they are still valid.

My findings so far are:

- There's no new release of KDE for Windows that includes the latest
version of Okular.  The last release was May 2013 based KDE 4.10.2.  I get
the feeling that the KDE binary builds (for windows) are no longer being
produced due to a shift towards kf5.  I don't however see any formal
releases of kf5 so I'm guessing what I need to focus on is a custom build
of KDE 4.14.2 in windows.

- With doing a build in Windows, the key thing to me seems to be the choice
of build system: either MSVC or MinGW.  I don't see any theoretical reason
why the latest version of VS (2013) would not work, but from my research
one would definitely not want to go with anything earlier than VS2008  Use
of the emerge tool seems to be the way to go.  I'm familiar with GNU tool
chain, but was not able to find out whether the MS or GNU route has fewer
issues.  I have a requirement for OS X too (so would expect to use GNU),
but that's dependent on whether I can test Okular on Windows.

Any pointers or validation of my current assessment of the situation would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul