Spell checking in Kate

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sat Nov 1 11:45:46 UTC 2014

> On 01 Nov 2014, at 11:38, Dominik Haumann <dhaumann at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On Friday 31 October 2014 10:52:44 Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is spell checking in Kate supported? If it is then I should check my
>> installation, because it accepts any and all text as correct US english. I
>> haven’t updated in a while, my Kate version is 3.10.2, KDE 4.10.2. I am
>> editing in Doxygen markup mode.
>
> Hi Bastian,
>
> it definitely works under Linux. Maybe some other Windows develoepr here can
> comment on this further?
>
> In Kate, we use the Sonnet spell checking library, which in turn has several
> backends from ispiell to aspell and hunspell (and what now?!). Maybe one of
> this libraries need to be available on Windows as well? Not sure.
>
> Besides that, did you try to change the dictionary through the Tools menu?
>
> Greetings,
> Dominik

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your reply. It turned out I just lacked the aspell-en package. As Kate let me choose the language and didn’t complain I wrongly assumed it had the necessary packages installed.

There is one issue in Kate spelling though: it frequently returns false negatives: words that it signals as misspelled but are correct, and are present in the dictionary. Pressing “Replace” does nothing and it does not advance to the next word. I can add it to the dictionary (although it is already there) and after that it is accepted.

In addition to aspell-en I have aspell-no and aspell-de installed.

And finally two notes regarding the installer: 1) it would be nice to see what languages each spell package supports in a tool-tip. I confused the -am and -uk packages for American and United Kingdom. 2) Individual packages cannot be de-installed; checking “Remove installed packages” removes everything.

Thanks,
Bastiaan.