KDE Development on Windows

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:13:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

Your are not alone. For digiKam under windows, it's the same problem
to release a version running on this system...

So i'm hear this thread with interrest, to see which solutions are
planed for the future...

Best

Gilles Caulier

> [...]
>

> On 2/04/2014 6:37 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>
>> Well, you post it as a rant, but I have to agree... The big problem is
>> that KDE4 is both a platform and a development framework, and the two are
>> mixed together.
>>
>> For Krita, I've stopped using the emerge system to get the dependencies,
>> because it's just too fragile. It's wonderful if you want to setup a
>> system with more than one kde application, but it didn't work for me for
>> creatinga single, standalone application that I could package and
>> distribute.
>>
>> I'm now using a cmake project with a bunch of externals. However, building
>> all the dependencies takes ages, too, so for my co-workers, I just share my
>> dev env with them, binary. I am building with msvc 2012, so there is no
>> pre-built Qt and there is no webkit. Oh, and update-mime-database doesn't
>> build correctly, so I need a pre-prepared mime directory to package. I still
>> haven't managed to strip down the oxygen icon set, either, and that's the
>> biggest part of the download.
>>
>> I am using a stripped-down kdelibs without dbus, kded, soprano -- and I
>> probably should cut out attica and so on as well. Part of this will be
>> solved by kf5, but since kxmlgui still needs dbus, part of it won't, if I
>> continue to use kxmlgui. Feel free to clone and hack:
>> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fkdelibs%2Frempt%2Fkdelibs-stripped.git
>>
>> Note that I've hardcoded this kdelibs to store settings in
>> AppData\Local|Roaming\krita, not .kde, but still there is one or two things
>> in kde that seems hardcode to .kde.
>>
>> Also, no dbus means no kioslaves.
>>
>> Sysoca is pretty much the biggest bug-bear of my life on Windows. Because
>> krita/calligra actually uses the plugin query language in a lot of places, I
>> cannot replace it with simply loading all local plugins. If you, for
>> kmymoney, would just move to the Qt plugin system instead of the KDE one,
>> you probably would be fine and save a lot of aggravation.
>>
>> My current dev setup is like this:
>>
>> c:\dev\desktop32
>> c:\dev\desktop64
>> c:\dev\desktop32_d
>> c:\dev\desktop64_d
>>
>> i.e., base development directories for 32 and 64 bits builds,
>> relwithdebinfo and debug.
>>
>> Inside, I have an i directory where I install everything, and my source
>> tree, build directories and so on.
>>
>> Because I've hacked kbuildsycoca and krita's main to look for paths
>> relative to the exe, instead of environment variables, all these
>> installations run locally, without setting any environment and without
>> sharing anything.
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, Chris wrote:
>>
>>> <rant>
>>> As a developer who is trying to compile and then improve kmymoney on
>>> windows I must say it is the most painful process.
>>>
>>> If you want portability for KDE apps you need to uncouple applications
>>> from a lot of the hardcore KDE stuff. Just creating a suitable environment
>>> for building kmymoney has proved exhausting to the point of wanting to give