How do i get gettext dev for mingw

DeveloperChris developerchris at rebel.com.au
Mon May 6 13:14:22 UTC 2013

Thanks Patrick

some notes below...

On 06/05/2013 4:17 AM, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Am 05.05.2013 14:05, schrieb DeveloperChris:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> When compiling mpir (my nemesis) I have run into YAP (yet another
>> problem). My main issues are caused by an apparently buggy msys/sh.exe
>> but not this time.
>>
>> I get undefined __printf__ errors when building the project, in
>> particular when building yasm.
>
> Lol, I had those as well ;-)
> the gettext library (libintl) is provided by the gettext package. To
> make mpir compile, I edited the gettext package quite a lot and I
> thought I had submitted that fix:
> the problem is that libintl is not compiled completely, so the
> replacement functions for printf and vprintf are not compiled in. in one
> of the headers you will find that printf is redefined to __printf__ for
> certain cases. What I did, was simply keeping those two functions as is
> and modifying the ifdefs accordingly.
> The patch seems to have been submitted on 2nd of may, so maybe you might
> want to rebuild your gettext package: emerge -i gettext && emerge mpir.

Thanks that was successful

The next problem I ran in to was not being able to find libstdc++.dll.a

after much searching this link helped
http://mingw.5.n7.nabble.com/libstdc-dll-a-does-not-exist-td20812.html

It appears the fix is still unresolved. but as LRN advised changing
"library_names='libstdc++.dll.a'" in libstdc++.la to "library_names=''" did
the trick.

using emerge --make mpir resulted in a completed build but not installed

I tried emerge --install mpir but had no joy it obviously ran make install
but that didn't seem to do anything else so mpir was not put into the db. I
couldnt see how to restart a failed build.

In the end I ran "emerge mpir" again which is still running and I hope this
time completes the install.

I still have issues with sh stalling, I manually have to kill the stalled sh
process to get the process to continue.

Out of curiosity what OS and service pack are you compiling on. I was
thinking about setting up a clean xp install to see if this stall issue is
something peculiar to my machine.

UPDATE: it just completed - At last and only took a week!

 > snip ...

> nope, that is something else.
>>

> regards,
> Patrick