kdelibs frameworks buildsystem under Windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 14:39:31 UTC 2013

Am 16.02.2013 20:58, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Saturday 16 February 2013, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we are doing quite some rework of the build system in the frameworks
>>> branch of
>>> kdelibs.
>>>
>>> Short version: please try to build one of the tier1/ libraries, e.g.
>>> itemmodels/ standalone, and let me know if everything works.
>>>
>>> Longer version: compiler and build settings are not set anymore in
>>> FindKDE4Internal.cmake, but instead in the file KDECMakeSettings.cmake
>>> and KDECompilerSettings.cmake in extra-cmake-modules/kde-modules/.
>>>

>>> If you have a look at KDECompilerSettings.cmake, you will notice quite a
>>> few
>>> lines which are commented out.
>>>
>>> * There is something related to KDEWIN_Packager.
>>> What is this ?
>>> In which cases is it needed ?
>>>
>>> * What's the status of the KDEWin library ?
>>> Is this needed by every application which wants to use some of the KDE
>>> (frameworks) libraries ? Or is it only needed for building some of the
>>> KDE frameworks libraries ?
>> "KDEWin is a supplementary library and provides supplementary tools which
>> are required for compiling KDE applications on Windows."
> Yes, that much I know.
> But I doubt that it is needed e.g. to build the itemmodels library.
> That's why I'd like to know in more detail how it is needed,
a quick look at the master branch of kde emerge repository shows that
kdewin is listed 6 times as run time package dependency The related
packages are  kdelibs, phonon-vlc, fontconfig, quassel-qt, clamz. uactools
> and how it should
> be handled with the frameworks modularization.
Based on
http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/stable/4.8.0/kdelibs-x86-mingw4-4.8.0-2-bin.tar.bz2
kdewin is used by the following shared librares:

./lib/kde4/kio_file.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./lib/kde4/kio_ghelp.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./lib/kde4/kio_help.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkio.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkhtml.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libktexteditor.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkde3support.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkparts.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkdecore.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll
./bin/libkdeui.dll DLL Name: libkdewin.dll

>>> * What is this manifest stuff for ?
>>> When is this needed ?
>> Which "manifest stuff"?
> This, and there's probably some macro going along with it:
>
>     option(KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST "add manifest to make vista uac happy" OFF)
>     if (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)
>        find_program(KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE mt
>           PATHS ${KDEWIN_INCLUDE_DIR}/../bin
>           NO_DEFAULT_PATH
>        )
>        if (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
>           message(STATUS "Found KDE manifest tool at ${KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE} ")
>        else (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
>           message(STATUS "KDE manifest tool not found, manifest generating for
> Windows Vista disabled")
>           set (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST OFF)
>        endif (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
>     endif (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)
Because uac is still present on windows 7 i guess it is still relevant