kdelibs frameworks buildsystem under Windows

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 16 19:58:48 UTC 2013

On Saturday 16 February 2013, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are doing quite some rework of the build system in the frameworks
> > branch of
> > kdelibs.
> >
> > Short version: please try to build one of the tier1/ libraries, e.g.
> > itemmodels/ standalone, and let me know if everything works.
> >
> > Longer version: compiler and build settings are not set anymore in
> > FindKDE4Internal.cmake, but instead in the file KDECMakeSettings.cmake
> > and KDECompilerSettings.cmake in extra-cmake-modules/kde-modules/.
> >

> > If you have a look at KDECompilerSettings.cmake, you will notice quite a
> > few
> > lines which are commented out.
> >
> > * There is something related to KDEWIN_Packager.
> > What is this ?
> > In which cases is it needed ?
> >
> > * What's the status of the KDEWin library ?
> > Is this needed by every application which wants to use some of the KDE
> > (frameworks) libraries ? Or is it only needed for building some of the
> > KDE frameworks libraries ?
>
> "KDEWin is a supplementary library and provides supplementary tools which
> are required for compiling KDE applications on Windows."

Yes, that much I know.
But I doubt that it is needed e.g. to build the itemmodels library.
That's why I'd like to know in more detail how it is needed, and how it should
be handled with the frameworks modularization.

> > * What is this manifest stuff for ?
> > When is this needed ?
>
> Which "manifest stuff"?

This, and there's probably some macro going along with it:

   option(KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST "add manifest to make vista uac happy" OFF)
   if (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)
      find_program(KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE mt
         PATHS ${KDEWIN_INCLUDE_DIR}/../bin
         NO_DEFAULT_PATH
      )
      if (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
         message(STATUS "Found KDE manifest tool at ${KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE} ")
      else (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
         message(STATUS "KDE manifest tool not found, manifest generating for
Windows Vista disabled")
         set (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST OFF)
      endif (KDE4_MT_EXECUTABLE)
   endif (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)