Concerns about deprecating KFileDialog

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Aug 26 10:39:56 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Saturday 24 August 2013 07:53:08 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Saturday 24 August 2013 00:12:09 Andrius da Costa Ribas wrote:
> > (crosspost between kde-frameworks-devel and kde-windows)
> >
> > I've posted a question in a recent review request that deprecates
> > KFileDialog in favor of QFileDialog for KF5, however this question got
> > probably unnoticed (as no one responded and later the review got
> > submitted).
> >
> > My concern about deprecating KFileDialog is that on Windows there is in
> > systemsettings the option to choose between using either native or KDE
> > dialog. I heavily use kioslaves to open/save files in different remote
> > locations (SFTP) and I hevily use the places panel to bookmark those
> > locations, that's something that can't be done with native Windows dialog.
> > As far as I can see there is no such option when using QFileDialog, so
> > Windows users will lose the power of the kioslaves :(
> >
> > Was this considered when it was decided to deprecate KFileDialog?
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to inject our file dialog on Windows Platform in
> the same way as on our platform? That way it wouldn't matter that
> KFileDialog got deprecated and also other Qt applications could benefit.

Yes, it is possible. We have to decide on a way to do that though.

The injection code could be added to
frameworkintegration/src/integrationplugin AFAIK. This injection shouldn't be
the default though, it should be explicitely requested by the user on those
platforms.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net