using icc instead of visual c++ or mingw

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 10:11:09 UTC 2012

Am 25.06.2012 11:19, schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> On Sunday 24 June 2012 Jun, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> Am 19.06.2012 19:16, schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
>>> Does anyone know whether anyone has actually already tried to build kde on windows with intel's icc? It's an expensive compiler, but it could give interesting performance benefits (especially since msvc-compiled krita on windows is so much slower than on Linux).
>
>> Is it sure, that the performance problem depends on the created
>> instructions ? There may be other reasons why a kde application runs
>> slow on windows.
>
> No, not sure. But I might be getting my hands on some licenses, and I was wondering whether icc had been used before, whether there were gotchas.
>
>> an application using many dbus calls may run slow on windows because the
>> tcp protocol, which is used by dbus on windows, is about 5-10 times
>> slower than domain unix sockets on linux (see *Local* Communication
>> bandwidths in MB/s at
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg01719.html). Other socket
>> connections between kde applications for example kioslave connections
>> may be affected too.
>
> I doubt this is socket related -- there is some weird locking issue with msvc somewhere, and there are places like the fill tool, which makes luts and then iterates over pixels that are way slower than on Linux. I haven't tried cross-compiling with mingw yet, though.

Hm, afair there are several things slower than on Linux, file
operations, socket operations and there might be some more. This is
independent of the compiler but must be blamed on the system.

About icc: icc uses the MSVC libraries & headers, so it basically should
be equivalent to our msvc builds. I am not sure how hard this is; I
would think that there shouldn't be such a great difference.

regards,
Patrick