[Kile-devel] Kile on Windows: Save and Load Dialog inconsistency

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Jun 15 09:45:01 UTC 2012

Am 15.06.2012 11:20, schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thursday 14 June 2012, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>> I also don't think this should have been the default, but we kind of
>> rely on that now.
>
> I'm not going to start a discussion on this, and feel free to ignore the
> following question. But if you do have some time, I'd be curious about in how
> far you "rely" on this default.

rely is the wrong word, I promised not to change it ;-)
Since that has been years ago, I think we could discuss this again at
the meeting? (hoping that you'll find the time to attend - If not, maybe
we can make a skype conference at the meeting for everybody interested?).

>> The native filedialogs from within KDE do have certain
>> restrictions/bugs
>
> Indeed. And in RKWard on Windows, I encountered a couple of those, too (and
> reported them on bugs.kde.org). In the end, I added the following to the
> startup code (simplified):
>
> 	KConfigGroup cg = KGlobal::config ().data ()->group ("KFileDialog
> Settings");
> 	if (cg.readEntry ("Native", true)) {
> 			cg.writeEntry ("Native", false);
> 			cg.sync ();
> 	}
>
> So, in case other projects are encountering hard-to-work-around issues with
> the native dialogs: That will get rid of them.

A much easier way (and nowadays preferred) would be to simply ship a
file kderoot\share\config\kdeglobals which sets all those informations.
Lately I have also been talking with Andre Heinecke that we want to set
some variables based on informations from a file: %KDEHOME%, %XDG-*%
etc. only if we run our own applications.

> Regards
> Thomas

regards,
Patrick