kdevelop crashes after consuming only 200M memory

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jun 15 09:00:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Am 13.06.2012 13:49, schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I've started to build and try to use kdevelop on windows. Unfortunately
>> it crashes soon after having opened my project or upon startup. The
>> backtrace suggests a QVector::reserve() call in the C++ parser, which in
>> turn hints towards exhausting of memory (it throws a qBadAlloc exception).
>>
>> However according to my process-monitor I still have plenty of standby
>> memory available (free is indeed only about 200M). Since I'm not an expert
>> in this stuff, does anybody know of a possible reason why the
>> memory-allocation would fail even if there's tons of standby-memory?
>>
> One reason may be heap memory corruption.

Can you elaborate on that? I couldn't really find anything understandable
via google on limits in windows regarding heap memory - other than I should
be able to have apps use up to 2G of it on a 4G RAM system.

It almost seems as if windows is unwilling or unable to provide the process
memory from the standby area, however other processes don't have that
problem (I can run eclipse just fine for weeks and it'll consume quite a
bit more than 200M over the time).

Any pointers to understandable documentation of what a normal C++
programmer needs to know about memory usage of its app on windows would be
appreciated.

Andreas