Use devel-package to build KDE apps from source?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jun 12 15:27:24 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 12 June 2012, Andre Heinecke wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2012 15:14:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering wether it should be possible to install the Devel packages
> > from kde-win-installer and use the installed stuff to build KDE apps from
> > source?
>
> Theroretically yes. Bit its not practical I do not know of anyone who does
> this and it is neither documented nor really tested. At least you would
> also need some dev utils like a compiler or cmake, perl etc. and then you
> would have to manually set up an environment. Make sure you use the right
> build options so that everything is found etc. etc.

I'm using this approach to build binaries of RKWard. True, probably it's not
recommendable. But most of the time this approach allows me to upgrade the
version of KDE I'm building against much faster than by using emerge.

The steps are documented at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Compiling_Applications . (The
path strings to look for / patch in the cmake modules keep changing, so the
docs are a bit outdated in this respect). Not tested for KDE 4.8, yet, but the
same basic recipe has been working (IIRC) since 4.2, up to 4.7. Also, I did
not test with MSVC, and the instructions contain some MinGW-specifics.

Regards
Thomas