Intel's Composer XE 2011 compiler in emerge

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jul 12 07:21:00 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012 Jul, Michael Drüing wrote:
> Hi Casper,
>
> > There is also an extra architecture, intel64, but I guess nobody will ever be
> > able to use that, since it's itanium. I'm not sure what kind of binaries the ia32
> > mode generates, since it does support stuff like AVX, apparently, but I've
> > asked my contacts at Intel about that.
>
> ia32 is x86, i.e. 32 bit mode.
> Intel64 is IA64 a.k.a Itanium
>
> You probably shouldn't mention ia64 in the table in kdesettings-example.bat, it might give people the impression that it's actually supported (which it isn't, but nobody will find out because nobody uses ia64 anymore I hope ;-)
> Along that line you should also remove the "EMERGE_ARCHITECTURE=intel64" line, even though it's commented out, people WILL get confused by this and try it out.

Yeah, I need to remove that.

> Also, your tabs could need fixing in some of the source code files (not a big deal)
>
> Now the important thing: What did you build successfully with that compiler? You mentioned DBUS, but does it actually work? What about Qt etc.?

By now I've built Qt, which means things like qmake and so on run.

> I guess the intel compiler uses non-compatible name mangling so that the DLLs are not interchangeable with wither mingw or MSVC?

I think that they are actually compatible with msvc, since that's how the dll's often are used in practice. But I'm still half-way compiling all the stages up to Krita, so a full report comes after that :-)

> -Michael

Boudewijn Rempt