Intel's Composer XE 2011 compiler in emerge

Michael Drüing michael at drueing.de
Wed Jul 11 22:19:16 UTC 2012

Hi Casper,

> There is also an extra architecture, intel64, but I guess nobody will ever be
> able to use that, since it's itanium. I'm not sure what kind of binaries the ia32
> mode generates, since it does support stuff like AVX, apparently, but I've
> asked my contacts at Intel about that.

ia32 is x86, i.e. 32 bit mode.
Intel64 is IA64 a.k.a Itanium

You probably shouldn't mention ia64 in the table in kdesettings-example.bat, it might give people the impression that it's actually supported (which it isn't, but nobody will find out because nobody uses ia64 anymore I hope ;-)
Along that line you should also remove the "EMERGE_ARCHITECTURE=intel64" line, even though it's commented out, people WILL get confused by this and try it out.

Also, your tabs could need fixing in some of the source code files (not a big deal)

Now the important thing: What did you build successfully with that compiler? You mentioned DBUS, but does it actually work? What about Qt etc.?

I guess the intel compiler uses non-compatible name mangling so that the DLLs are not interchangeable with wither mingw or MSVC?

-Michael