Trouble with Emerge

Ananta Palani anantapalani at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:46:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Patrick Spendrin <ps_ml at gmx.de> wrote:

> > The document is not clear about the relationship between emerge branches
> and
> > Python versions.
> >
> > Additionally, git cloning and switching branches is unfriendly, and the
> > documentation is too sparse at this point. There should be a strong
> remark
> > that after cloning the emerge repository the user needs to switch the
> branch
> > for the KDE version he wants to compile. A friendlier alternative would
> be to
> > offer a zip file containing a basic "C:\kderoot" directory for the last
> stable
> > KDE release containing emerge, the most basic development tools and up
> to date
> > documentation.
>
> There is another point why we already thought of doing that: you need a
> second git client to checkout emerge, emerge itself will ignore that and
> just redownload one.
> I think we will probably rethink if we can provide something like that.
> Since Ralf started something like that already once, maybe he can say
> something about it.

Could you just start tagging the revision that is used to successfully
build a given KDE Windows release, much as DBus does? (You can see the dbus
src portage file access specific tags in a given branch). So kde-4.8 is the
branch, but when you successfully build 4,8.0 or 4.8.1 then you tag that
revision 4.8.0 or 4.8.1, etc. Then we could switch to the given tag and be
able to reproduce the exact same build you do. If necessary, the specific
tag could be set in kdesettings as well. I believe it is also possible to
retroactively tag revisions in git, which would be useful for 4.7.4 and
4.8.0 releases.

I think this would be really useful since I often will check out emerge
once you list a given version as released, but encounter code that is in
progress to the next release and have a partially-broken build environment
as a result.

Best,
-Ananta