Using digikam and KDE on W64 machine

Ian McCarthy idm.kde at cronkshaw.com
Wed Dec 12 00:08:59 UTC 2012

OK I give in - I've been attempting to use digikam (2.9.0) on a Windows
7 SP1 , 64 bit machine, and to be honest the tool should do everything I
want, but the software implementation is dreadful.
For example - If I alter the tags on a file these are set to be written
back to the file and stored in the digikam database, Digikam says it is
writing metadata to files, the progress line appears, progress starts
and then it stops at some random point say 25% or 76%.
The only way out is then to use "windows task manager" to "end process
tree" of digikam.exe followed by killing(end process tree) klaunch.exe
and final killing kded4.exe
Then I move the library with the image which I was amending out of my
album library, start digikam again and then move the library back in and
start again - not really the most slick of processes. If I'm lucky this
may work, although sometimes no images appear in which case its a case
of killing everything (close doesn't work - it just gets rid of the
window) and removing more libraries till it starts to work again, and
then reintroduce the libraries one at a time, if I introduce multiple
libraries it just gets into a mess again..
kde is at version 4.8.5
It does sometimes crash but says it has produced no useful diagnostics
if I ask it to do a trace, so that's of no great help

So instead of just moaning about it, please would someone kind person
tell me how to set about diagnosing what the problem really is. I would
guess it is loosing an interrupt somewhere, so I'm prepared to go hunt
the missing interrupt. What diagnostic tools do I need, and are they free?
Once of a day I use to be able to do this sort of thing, but I'm now a
bit rusty, so some help to kick start me again would be a great assistance.
--
Cheers Ian Mac