Updating raptor; kde-windows workflow

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 10 18:59:26 UTC 2012

Hi!

On Monday 10 December 2012, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > - I modified the raptor2-portage file, and made 2.0.8 the default target,
> > however. Is there a policy on getting others to do testing, before
> > adjusting
> > the default target of a package?
>
> At least reviewboard would be nice if you are not sure (like when I was a
> newcomer, and still am IMO :)

Point taken. OTOH, I _am_ fairly confindent in this particular patch, just not
on any written or unwritten policies. BTW, I had intended _not_ to adjust the
default target in my commit, yet, but alas, I wasn't paying attention, and
didn't realize this until after I had push'ed.

> > - I pushed my commit to kde-4.9 for now. Should I push to master, too?
>
> If you are this uncertain, I would suggest reviewboard. :-)
>
> > Blindly  (without builing from master, first)?
>
> I would personally say "of course not". It is not nice when someone is
> blocked because of an untested commit in master.

Well, the background of my question is this: I don't have a build tree of
master, and I don't intend to get one, either. I'm just trying to do what's
necessary to have my own project running on Windows, and to fix the bugs that
affect it, or that I happen to stumble upon, along the way.

I do not intend to dive head first into the KDE on Windows project. I already
have my own pet project, thank you. Building several branches, and possibly
even with several compilers per branch is a no-go to me.

So that's why I'm asking about policy, here: If I cannot (be convinced to)
test a patch in master, but I think it should go there, how should I proceed.
Reviewboard? This list?

> > - I figured out emerge --createpatch, and some other tricks, eventually.
> > But
> > is there a page documenting the basic workflow(s) when working in the
> > kde- windows project?
>
> This is one of your best bets:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge

Ok, I was aware of that one. I've whipped up a draft of a page with some basic
instructions that would probably have saved me a bunch of time at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Development_Workflow . Please
review for wrong info and omissions.

Regards
Thomas