Applications can't start anymore !

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 28 18:37:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Patrick Gelin wrote:

> In the post processing step the installer uses some command line applications
> from the KDE installation (update-mine-database, kbuildsycoca and
> kwinstartmenu), which may fail as described.
>> It may help to enter the bin dir of the KDE installation an run
>>
>> update-mine-database <kde-install-root>/share/mime
>> kbuildsycoca4  --noincremental
>> kwinstartmenu --remove
>> kwinstartmenu --install
>>
> I tried this comands below, but no result, the KDE menu is not. I tried
> depensi walker to look dll but I don't know what dll is the problem, and
> there is so much.... Could you please tell me what is the executable I have
> to run in order to start kmymoney?

I'm afraid that you cannot run kmymoney until you know which other,
non-kde, application you installed that broke your kde installation by
putting a dll in the windows path.

This isn't something that anyone on this list can figure out for you. What
you can try is uninstall every application you installed since the last
time kmymoney ran for you and hope that the authors of the offending app
weren't negligent enough to break uninstall by letting the offending dll
stay around. I haven't got enough windows experience to suggest anything
else, I'm afraid.

Then you might need to rerun the kde installer. If you are really anxious
to get at your data right now, which I can well imagine, the route I would
take would be to download a kubuntu cd and VirtualBox, create a kubuntu
vm, install kmymoney and copy your files to the linux vm and open them
there.

Is it simply kmymoney.exe, and if so I
> can tell you it deosn't start... Is there any log file to look into ?

Not that I know of.