Applications can't start anymore !

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 28 21:21:30 UTC 2012

Am 28.08.2012 09:39, schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> On Monday 27 August 2012 Aug, Patrick Gelin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I succeded to desinstall kde for windows and I reinstall it. But the kde
>> for windows installer 0.9.9-7 can't create start menu entries ! (I had
>> to remove manualy start menu entries after the first
>> desinstallation...). I try to run kmymoney directly from KDE install
>> directory but it doesn't start ! What can I do ? Is there anyway to
>> start a programm to create start menu entries ?
>>
> The kde windows installer probably has the same problem with the dll that the misbehaved non-kde application you installed put into the windows path. With that dll present, it simply cannot function correctly.
The installer itself is a static compiled qt application only using some
dlls provided by the os, so it should not be affected by such problems.

In the post processing step the installer uses some command line
applications from the KDE installation (update-mine-database,
kbuildsycoca and kwinstartmenu), which may fail as described.
It may help to enter the bin dir of the KDE installation an run

update-mine-database <kde-install-root>/share/mime
kbuildsycoca4  --noincremental
kwinstartmenu --remove
kwinstartmenu --install