[IMPORTANT] stopping development

Michael Drüing michael at drueing.de
Wed Sep 14 16:36:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Michael Drüing <michael at drueing.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> 13.09.2011 20:22, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> >> Hi everybody,

> > This sounds disturbing. Am I right in assuming this is only temporary? E.g.
> until 4.7 is "stable" and development on master can continue? Is there
> anything online where I can read about that policy change?
> >
> > -Michael
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=130740387112872&w=2
>
> In short, master is frozen because we are not going to release kdelibs
> 4.8 or 4.9 (or any later 4.x version). There will only be bugfix 4.7.x releases.
> The rest of the kde-sc 4.x series will continue to be released, based on
> kdelibs 4.7. This will continue until kde frameworks 5 are ready.
>
> I don't see though why this affects the kde-windows project. You can still
> continue doing what you were doing before, you just need to switch to using
> kdelibs from the 4.7 branch rather than master and commit fixes to the 4.7
> branch (only fixes though, not new features).

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense to me. And you're right, it doesn't really affect kde-windows that much. I was more concerned on a general level (I know about freezing branches but never about freezing head and restricting development to branches), and a bit about what happens with bugfixes that normally get cherry-picked into master right away. I now see that there's no need for that either.

Thanks,
-Michael