FOSDEM 2012

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 22 16:37:18 UTC 2011

On Friday 18 November 2011, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am coorganizing the CrossDesktop DevRoom for FOSDEM 2012. You
> probably have already seen the announcement because I have spammed
> every list moderately related to the topic :-)
>
> Last year people were very interested in KDE on Windows and one of the
> post-event conclusions was it would be nice to have CDs with KDE on
> Windows to give to attendants (i. e. instead of downloading
> everything, distribute it in a CD).
>
> Crazy me, I was thinking maybe we could take advantage of the 45-day
> grace period for activation Microsoft offers and maybe create a live
> CD with KDE on Windows. If we could replace Aero with Plasma, so that
> it looks like "KDE with a Windows kernel", even better.  I have not
> really conducted much research into this (especially on the licensing
> issues) but, what do you think?

Personally, I wouldn't put much effort into replacing Aero with Plasma.
IMO the focus should be to get the KDE applications running on Windows, not to
replace the desktop. This is IMO already more than enough work.
Which would also mean that the KDE desktop can concentrate more on UNIX and
ignore Windows, which should make things easier.

Just my 2 cents...
Alex