FOSDEM 2012

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Nov 19 15:24:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Ralf Habacker
<ralf.habacker at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> What do you think of the Live CD/DVD idea?
>
> I do not know how much technical effort would be required to generate a
> windows live cd yet. From my personal windows and ms experience I would say
> that there are many issues to solve, technical and non technical. Think
> about required drivers for graphics and network drivers and so on, which
> have to be available on the live cd.

It should not be a problem if we use WAIK

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5753

(I haven't tested it yet, just googled a bit)

> An additional important question is: Is this the way we like to go ?  Do we
> like to propagate the windows os to linux users instead of propagation kde
> application to present windows users ?

If we could have both the LiveDVD and the ready-to-use applications in
the DVD, it'd be great.

Just like LiveCDs make it easy to try Linux, a LiveDVD with Windows +
KDE Windows would make it easy for people to try WinKDE without the
interference of their bug-ridden system. I wouldn't like people to try
KDE, then say "oh, it crashes" just because their system with 20
malware toolbars, etc is dog-slow, their antivirus is taking KMail for
a virus, etc.

> Present windows user do not need a live cd, they only need a kde
> installation. To show kde applications to linux users, applications on a
> pure iso cd could be started under wine.  In fact winetricks, the wine
> application installer, supports already kdewin net installer since a few
> years.
>
> To be able to use kde applications on a given linux distribution, a
> dedicated install script or rpm/dpkg/other package on the cd may install
> wine if not present and installs/link kde applications into this wine
> installation. Because kdewin-installer is able to install kde application
> from a local source, it could be used to install kde apps from cd.
>
> This lead to an additional option: Create a kde based linux live cd having
> an iso part containing windows kde packages or installation. This would have
> the benefit to show windows users the goodness of kde installations and
> optional the same one on a real linux system.

I don't really like this idea, because people may think "oh, I need
this special Linux + Windows CD [big scary oooohhh] if I want to run
this KDE software".

> yes, to give you a compare: On linuxtag 2003 there has been shared 5000
> knoppix live cd's with kde cygwin for windows user on it.

A quick googling told me 1,000 CDs with cardboard jacked would cost
aroun 1,000 EUR (VAT included). Question is how do we get the money
for this.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org