Proposal: Enhanced file system navigation for KDE application under Windows

Fabian Aichele faichele at primusnetz.de
Thu May 26 23:12:38 CEST 2011

Hello!

I've experimented with a very basic implementation of an alternate Qt file system engine under Windows that uses the file system access routines of the Windows Shell instead of the "ordinary" file system manipulation routines that are tailored to deal with "classic" files and folders residing on physical media on the local machine.

Essentially, this would enable applications using Qt to navigate the complete content of the Explorer namespace, including "virtual folders" like the system control panel, but also remote network shares, or basically anything that uses ITEMIDLIST data structures to interact with Windows Explorer.

As of now, I've mastered the most basic task of actually navigating a folder/container hierarchy starting from a given point within the Explorer namespace, so I've verified combining Qt's file engine interface and the Explorer namespace is possible.

I'd like to ask for some feedback if this is a priority at all for KDE on Windows (personally I definitely think it is, and should be), and if there's interest in such a piece of software: How closely should I stick to the layout that Windows Explorer itself imposes on the file system hierarchy? Should I simply replicate it, or has anyone suggestions that I haven't come up with yet?

With best regards,

Fabian Aichele