kde plasma on Windows 7

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 15:24:51 CEST 2011

----- Original Message ----

> From: Eduard Sukharev <kraplax at mail.ru>
> В сообщении от Вторник 03 мая 2011 20:15:49 автор Mihai Dobrescu  написал:
> >  >> >> I face a strange issue with the KDE plasma.
> >  >> >> front of the Windows desktop.

> >  >> >> Mike
> > >>
> >  >> I wouldn't kill explorer. As I understood, they can work in  parallel,
> > >
> >  > Well, Plasma, as it's supposed to be, is an explorer.exe  replacement.
> > > They might coexist, but almost surely they will  conflict - as in this
> > > case. I don't know which name the current  plasma desktop binary has (a
> > > year ago it was plasma-desktop.exe  iirc), but you may try to use the
> > > Platform KCM to replace  explorer.exe with plasma - should be available
> > > in SystemSettings if  you installed it. But be aware that if the Plasma
> > > desktop binary  changed you will end up without any shell at all - then
> > > you'll have  to run SystemSettings again and get the explorer back as
> > > default  user shell.
> > > --
> > Here  work in parallel, it seems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZt4TaRmLEY
> as i already said -  they may work, but the code changes and the behaviour
> changes. The video you  linked to was "Uploaded by montoya1411 on Jul 24, 2008"
>
> - lots of things  changed since then. As we can see in this case - Plasma seems
>
> to be running  "behind" the desktop as it assumes that it's the only shell and

> tries to be  "the lowest window" on the screen.
> --

I have run Plasma over Explorer numerous times on WinXP - I try it every now and
again, every time there's an update. So yes, I've done it since 2008 - just  a
couple of months ago with the 4.4 release; no I haven't tried 4.5 yet. (Just
noticed it so I will soon.) At least on WinXP Plasma takes over the screens -
both of them - and overrides Explorer. So I'm guessing that this is probably a
bug for Plasma on Win7 when running in parallel.

That said, I would love to have Plasma completely replace Explorer, but last I
checked that option wasn't enabled in the normal binary release the KDE/Windows
team, and while Plasmas has gotten to be a lot more stable on Windows, it is
still prone to error and crashing last I checked - so it wasn't quite there yet.

Ben