Testable KDEPIM Software for Windows

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Wed Mar 30 09:32:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

At Dienstag, 29. März 2011 19:31:59 Romain Pokrzywka wrote:
> Just a quick question before I try it out : Is the version self-contained
> within the installation dir ? Or does it uses the standard user dir for
> settings and config ?
It uses the standard user dirs for settings and config. The installer only
writes directly in the installation dir but the applications show normal KDE
behavior.

> I have a stable e4 kontact which I use as my work email client, so I don't
> want to is to get messed up in case the RC wipes the existing settings
> and/or data. Is it safe by default, or do I need to adjust something first
> ? Or am I doomed ? :)
Actually i do not know exactly, it should respect the environment variables
(XDG_DATA_HOME, XDG_CONFIG_HOME, KDEHOME) afaik. I have not tested it, but
you probably know the code there better then me.

The package does not wipe existing configuration but you will have problems if
you have an old akonadiserverrc for example which is configured for mysql
since your settings would override the defaults of the package and may lead
to a misconfigured setup.
To be save i would suggest you make backups of the Userdirs or just run the e5
as a different user for some first testing.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262 |  http://www.intevation.de/