[emerge][installing] how to manage the "perl is not a valid win32 application" error??

Alberto Curro bertothunder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:07:11 CEST 2011

Hi Andre!,

2011/6/6 Andre Heinecke <aheinecke at intevation.de>

> Hi,
> Am Monday, 6. June 2011, 18:43:21 schrieb Alberto Curro:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> >  after a long, long time without using or even trying kde on windows, now
> > I'm ready again to offer some help. My first step was, obviously, tried
> > install the last distro. And I found this when trying to make an "emerge
> > qt". First time it fails after a quite long time with a message window
> > saying that "perl is not a valid win32 application", and after that the
> > emerge process crashed.
> Cool that you are willing to work with kde-windows. Most of the day you can
> reach us on freenode #kde-windows :)

Ok, will try to contact you this way :)

> From looking at your output i see that you are using emerge with compiler
> mingw4 and x86 build options. I can not reproduce your errors because with
> the
> same spec i do several builds a day (
> http://saegewerk.intevation.de/emerges/status.py?p=kdepim-e5-package )

 That's right. I cannot understand either, as I've installed on my other
laptop (Windows 7 x64, mingw4, x64) with zero problems.

> > If I try to call to perl.exe by hand, the "perl.exe is not a valid win32
> > application" still appears. I've tried to delete all the downloaded qt
> > packages, and tried to emerge qt again, with the same result. Any idea?
> Afaik Windows puts this error out if you have either a corrupted executable
> or
> perl (which can not come from emerge because it checks the checksums) or a
> corrupted dependency.
>
> It is a strange error which was never reported to us before ( so it is not
> "the perl... error") . Please try the following:
> delete ActivePerl-5.12.2.1203-MSWin32-x86-294165.zip and run:
> emerge -i perl

If that does not help (and it would suprise me if it does help):

 Surprise you! It did help! Only by doing "emerge -i perl" not I'm compiling
qt and this problem disappeared (maybe I will notify of another one in a
short time ;)).

Regards,
> Andre

 Thanks a lot and regards