emerge python code

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Sun Jan 9 03:48:43 CET 2011

Am 08.01.2011 14:14, schrieb Wolfgang Rohdewald:
> while trying to understand the code, I just checked it with
>
> pylint.
>
> the output of errors, warnings and violation of conventions is
>
> about 2000 lines before pylint dies...
>
> Most of it is harmless of course, like formatting issues, and
>
> every developer has her own preferences.
>
> but I also quickly found obvious bugs like calling undefined functions
>
> E1101:236:baseclass.git_unpack: Module 'utils' has no 'replaceGitUrl' member
>
> E1101:265:baseclass.unpack: Module 'utils' has no 'applyPatches' member
>
> I hope this is just unused code of course.

Yes, this is deprecated code, it should be updated as soon as anyone
touches it (baseclass should become one of BinaryPackageBase,
CMakePackageBase etc.).

> In Kajongg, I have a pylintrc file plus locally disabled checks in
>
> the source and a git commit hook which does not let me commit anything
>
> as long as pylint spits out messages (I use git only locally).
>
> I would like to get emerge into such a state. With a lot of small
>
> patches. And adding docstrings everywhere so that the help() method
>
> in python actually shows something helpful.
>
> Would that be OK?

Hm, you could start that, but the question is how much work overhead
that is, since people might not be that interested.
Wrt. docstrings, we can definitely try and improve that situation, that
shouldn't hurt at all.

> --
>
> Wolfgang

regards,