svn and line endings

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Jan 7 14:19:28 CET 2011

Am 07.01.2011 14:07, schrieb Wolfgang Rohdewald:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge#Subversion_client
>
> says I need to install an svn command line client. So I did,
>
> I installed SlikSVN, based on subversion 1.6.15
>
> so why is there another svn client in kderoot/dev-utils/svn/bin?
>
> That is an old CollabNet client from Aug 2009,
>
> and this one is actually used by emerge even when SlikSVN
>
> is installed. I deinstalled SlikSVN again and emerge was
>
> still able to fetch svn sources.
>
> Now to my real problem: The wiki says I need a svn which was
>
> compiled on windows such that it converts Linux file endings
>
> LF to Windows file endings CRLF when checking out.
>
> None of the subversion clients I tried does this conversion,
>
> I tried TortoiseSVN, current SlikSVN and your dev-utils/svn.
>
> none of the files I checked has the svn:eol-style set, so
>
> subversion never converts it to CRLF. This would only be
>
> done if svn:eol-style native is set.
>
> from
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.props.special.eol-style
>
> by default, Subversion doesn't pay any attention to the type of
>
> end-of-line (EOL) markers

> The solution to this problem is the svn:eol-style property.
>
> When this property is set to a valid value, Subversion uses
>
> it to determine what special processing to perform
>
> ..
>
> the diffs in emerge/portage do actually have CRLF.
>
> unless all KDE source files have svn:eol-style native I suspect
>
> the correct solution would be to use something like unix2dos

Ok, that is actually wrong multiple times in the wiki:
- first, you don't need an external svn client anymore, except for
checking out emerge (and even that will change in the future).
- second, both the collabnet svn and Tortoisesvn can interact, but since
they must have the same minor version (1.6.X), we need to be a bit
careful with updating them. I am not sure what SlikSVN does different,
it could be that it works just as well.
- third, the only files that must have crlf are the patches in the
portage directory. This is due to a totally broken patch.exe... The rest
is totally ok with lf as eol char.
So if you could update that part? ;-)

> --
>
> Wolfgang