News from Kontact Enterprise

Romain Pokrzywka romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com
Fri Feb 18 18:21:09 CET 2011

On Friday 18 February 2011 08:07:26 Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2011 18:53:03 schrieb Romain Pokrzywka:
> > I'm gonna try to be part of the effort, either profesionally as part of
> > KDAB or personally as part of the KDE-Windows team.
>
> Nice, good news :)
> For now i first need to get the e5 portage up to speed to get a better
> overview about build problems.
>
> > I like the idea of using the same approach as with Komo/WinCE. Also,
> > we've learned a lot regarding performance during that phase, for example
> > regarding Akonadi, so I'm sure it'll be benefitial on the desktop too.
>
> Yes, i am currently planning to use Strigi search and the sqlite akonadi db
> backend. Virtuoso is still an option for the Enterprise installer, but for
> the KDE-Windows Installer i see no other option then to drop virtuoso.
> Since virtuoso can not be installed correctly by the KDE-Windows Installer
> i guess this means no Nepomuk on Windows (afaik no other backend is
> supported anymore?).

Yeah I guess so too, and personally I won't be crying over dropping Virtuoso and Nepomuk anyway...
I think Strigi can do certainly do a good enough job for Enterprise, and I would go for it too.

As for KDE-Windows in general, while it would be nice to have an option for Strigi or Nepomuk when building with Emerge,
I think sticking to Strigi for the installer makes sense. I still see a potential with using Nepomuk for KDE-Windows in
the future, as more apps start using it and sharing data. But for now I don't think it's worth all the trouble and
issues that come with it.

--
Romain Pokrzywka | romain.pokrzywka at kdab.com | Senior Qt Software Engineer & Trainer