Rwindows.kde.org & Digikam

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Sep 10 08:50:34 CEST 2010

  Am 10.09.2010 00:16, schrieb Francis Corvin:
> Hello,
>
> Ralf Habacker's message just prompted me to check if the Windows
> installer had been updated since 4.4.0. It hasn't, which is an
> unfortunate change from previous updates --- for instance the last
> two versions were updated one week after the Unix version.
I like to clarify several things:

1. The installer and KDE releases are two independent things.
2. The last stable kde version is 4.4.4 see
http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/stable/
3. There are also unstable and nightly releases of kde, so if one
package isn't available in the stable there is a change that a package
is in a  unstable or in a nightly release.
4. If a dedicated application is missing in one release this is probably
because the related application isn't compilable or have some major
runtime problems.
5. If a dedicated application isn't compilable, noone cares about that
the dedicated application is compilable and do not have major runtime
problems.
6. if noone cares about that a dedicated application is compilable,
packagers are not able to build a binary package of a dedicated
application.
7. It is not the job of a packager to make sure that a dedicated
application is compilable, it is the job of an application maintainer.
8. If an application isn't compilable, there is probably no application
maintainer for a dedicated application.
http://windows.kde.org/maintainers.php shows an (probably outdated) list
of maintainers.
9. Application maintainer can check the dashboard on
http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/dashboard/ about the
compilation state of kde related packages in trunk. (I guess this could
be extended to the production branch too from which unstable and stable
releases are build)

Now I come to digikam in special:
1. I see no digikam application maintainer for windows
http://windows.kde.org/maintainers.php
2. there is no - at least - nigthly release of digikam because digikam
is still not compilable - see
http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/nightly/20100909/logs/log-msvc2008-extragear_digikam.txt

I guess to have additional kde releases it is important
1. to have dedicated application maintainer(s) who care about that a
dedicated application or package is compilable and usable.
2. to extend the dashboard with the latest production branch so that
maintainers can follow the state of unstable and stable packages too.
3. It would be nice to extend the dashboard with an rss feed or package
based email notification so that application maintainers are able to
follow the compilation state of a specific package.

Regards