Unworking shared-mime-info

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Nov 23 20:58:59 CET 2010

Am 23.11.2010 20:21, schrieb Gert Kello:
> Hi.
>
> I'm stuck.
>
> If I use binary shared-mime-info package then it throws access
> violation. VS2008 debugger says
> Unhandled exception at 0x00401010 in update-mime-database.exe:
> 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00401010.
> (tried gdb also but it complained osmething about already under debugger...)
>
> If I use shared-mime-info-src then the windows complains
> update-mime-info.exe is not a valid win32 executable.
>
> Hmm, funny enough, if I start the update-mime-info.exe from
> e:\Kde4\build\win32libs-sources\shared-mime-info-src-0.71.20100418\work\mingw4-RelWithDebInfo-0.71\update-mime-database.exe
>  then it works. Sounds like something happens during "make install",
> maybe mingw strip is having some problems? (the exe files are
> different in work and image folders indeed)
>
> So perhaps I'm not stuck yet..

Yeah, there is currently a problem in that exact package.
The problem is that at the emerge --install step there is a manifest
added to the binary. if you run emerge -v -v -v --install
shared-mime-info-src, you can see the call to mt.exe at the very end.
This is done from inside
%KDEROOT%\emerge\portage\win32libs-sources\shared-mime-info-src\shared-mime-info-src*.py
(search for utils.system()) If you comment out this utils.system call,
it should install and run, but there is no manifest added to the
binaries, so you *must* switch of User account control on vista/7. I am
currently investigating this problem.

> Yes, of course: emerge kdelibs did install shared-mime-info from
> win32-bin.. Annoying. Luckily it is only one file to overwrite... (I
> think)

Yeah, it is broken in the same way... :-/

> Gert

regards,
Patrick