Win32 shell integration - the start menu in kickoff

faichele at primusnetz.de faichele at primusnetz.de
Fri Mar 26 11:00:10 CET 2010

Hello!

After a lot of trial-and-error development I have finally managed to create a
basic prototype application that allows KDE for windows to:
- extract the contents of the Windows start menu and desktop as .desktop files
- evaluate the file extensions registered in the Windows registry to obtain
existing (and create 'fake') MIME types for usage within KDE
- save the corresponding icons for start menu entries and MIME types
- enables kbuildsycoca4 to 'clone' the start menu folder layout for display in
kickoff

I'm prepared to commit the source code to KDE playground, but before I do so,
I'd like to know if and who would be willing to lend a hand in further
development and testing of these features.
None of the features above work perfectly yet; a few of the more important
to-do's:

- Command line handling: Launching applications that require command line
arguments is far from reliable; I haven't managed to devise a proper
correspondence between KDE/freedesktop.org argument placeholders and the Win32
conventions for these.
- Icon extraction doesn't work yet for icons that are embedded as resources in
EXE or DLL files.
- The duplication of the hierarchical layout of the Windows start menu is still
imperfect.
- Integration into kbuildsycoca4 is still missing; the application I wrote still
needs to be run manually, and then kbuildsycoca4 must be run again with a
special command line switch.

The commit will follow this weekend; I'll appreciate any volunteer who'd be
interested to help further me with this.

With best regards,
Fabian Aichele