What shell / terminal to use?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:35:18 CET 2010

On Tuesday 16 Mar 2010 17:48:03 Casper van Donderen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:54:12 +0100, John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's the best shell or terminal to be using under Windows?  I've seen a
> > couple of different bash ports out there, and there's always cygwin but
> > that's
> > rather heavy.  All I know is using cmd.exe or even PowerShell will send
> > me
> > insane very quickly :-)
>
> Could you elaborate on that?
>
> I run cmd.exe and I have put the stuff from the KDE Windows emerge
> buildsystem in my PATH. So now I can properly use things like rm and ls in
> my cmd window.
>
> Casper

Well, I haven't completed my build yet, so none of those goodies are available
:-)

Basically I'm missing having more than 80 columns, decent font, easy
copy/paste, proper history and auto-complete, unlimited (or at least long
enough) scrollback, etc, and that's even before the Unix commands.  20+ years
of bash usage and 10+ of konsole has made me spoiled and lazy and unwilling to
adapt :-)

I'll try Console 2, see if that alleviates the pain.

John.