showstopper problem with kmail filenames with colons - file names that are not allowed on windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Jan 30 14:47:24 CET 2010

Karol Depka Pradzinski schrieb:
> Hi.
> Foreword: I tried to search for a solution for this quite hard on Google and
> Nabble with absolutely no results. Is it possible, that I am the only one with
> this problem? Nah...
>
> I cannot use my KMail (and possibly Kontact in general) data from Linux under
> Windows because there are lots of files with colons in names (which are illegal
> chars for DOS/Windows file names).
You may be bitten by this problem also when using maildir format on an
vfat formatted drive on linux.
So in fact every linux mail client with maildir format support has
problems to store mails in maildir format on a vfat device  aka usb stick.
Kmail 3.x on cygwin had an option to choose an 'usb-stick' friendly
maildir format variant using '!' as delimiter.

Regards