Google Summer of Code announced

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 28 13:32:14 CET 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 16:09:31 Patrick Spendrin wrote:

> - look around for parts of KDE that need special treatment on Windows.
> Examples would be: "port Konsole to Windows similar to what console2 is
> doing", "implementing more stuff in the wmi backend, e.g. power supply
> support" and similar projects. If you have found some things you could
> work on, simply ask us whether this could be ok.

One idea I could suggest is an overhaul of KLocale to use the localization
settings on each host platform using pluggable backends (Windows, OSX, Gnome,
POSIX, etc).  This would involve identifying which localization options should
be using the host config, which should still use the KDE config, writing the
backends for each platform, and dynamically modifying System Settings to
disable those settings taken from the current host.

This may not be large enough for a GSOC project on it's own, but could be
grouped with other integration tasks, perhaps looking at integrating System
Settings into the host's native control panel instead of as a separate app.

John.