Indefinite number of kioslave instances

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Dec 18 14:55:31 CET 2010

Am 18.12.2010 12:31, schrieb Patrick von Reth:
> Currently amarok with some applets causes kioslave to start a
> indefinite number of instances.
>
>         V:\>taskkill /F /IM kioslave.exe
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 2768 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 4020 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 5312 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6276 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 5244 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 3388 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6484 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6472 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6164 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 5768 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 3240 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6608 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6928 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 4508 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6684 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6836 has been
>         terminated.
>
>         SUCCESS: The process "kioslave.exe" with PID 6312 has been
>         terminated.
>

> That kioslave is unstable on windows is known for a long time, and
> multiple kioslave instances hapen quite often.
> But about 20 instances each with 30mb ram usage can kill each system.
> We definitely have to debug and fix kioslave because the current state
> is much to unstable.
You should take a look which dll's are loaded by the related
kioslave.exe because kioslave is only a wrapper for a specific protocol
like file, http, ftp and so on. The related dll is named kio_file.dll or
kio_http.dll and so on.
> Konqueror will also start a lot of kioslave instances.
which are problably created for each kio_http request.

I guess that there are dependencies to kdecore, kdeui and kio, qt and
other base libraries, all in one kioslave.

Regards